Schedule of Dilapidation
A Schedule of Dilapidation, also known as a Schedule of Condition, is served at the end of a tenant’s lease in order to set out their liabilities in relation to the physical condition of the property. The report lays out any damages or wear and tear which must be restored to its condition at the beginning of the lease.
A Dilapidation Survey (typically conducted at the beginning of a lease) will usually be used as a reference for the condition of a property at the start of its lease period.
What’s Included in a Schedule of Dilapidation?
A Schedule of Dilapidation, or Schedule of Condition will typically include:
- The purpose of the report
- Details of the property, its ownership, and location
- A general description of the construction of the property
- Time, date, and weather conditions when the inspection was conducted
- Areas of the property to be included or excluded in the report
- The purposes in which the report may be used
- Drawings or images of the property
- A detailed written description of the location, nature, and condition of each item or area inspected
- This will include an item or area’s general condition, and will also include descriptions of issues such as cracks, stains, holes, decay, mould, leaks, other defects, disrepair, or deterioration
- Accompanying photographs will be included
- Details of any specific tests conducted
- A formal list of items that are in need of repair, to which the tenant is obligated to fix or replace
Why Conduct a Schedule of Dilapidation?
There are a number of benefits in conducting a Dilapidation Survey and subsequent Schedule of Dilapidations, however, the main benefit is simply ensuring that your property remains in, or is returned to a good condition when your tenant vacates.
- Take a detailed inventory of your property for future reference
- Ensure the good condition of your property
- Issue a legal obligation to your tenant regarding repairs or replacements (depending on your lease agreement)
Why Choose Us?
At Crest Chartered Surveyors, you can be sure that our team of surveyors will provide the quickest, and most cost-effective solution for your surveying needs. All of our surveyors are RICS registered with years of experience in the field, including consulting on large-scale projects for global companies. With Crest, you’re in safe hands.
A Dilapidation Survey is usually conducted at the start of a lease to take stock of the condition of the property before the tenant moves in. A Schedule of Dilapidation is conducted at the end of a tenancy to determine the condition of the property when a tenant is due to move out. This is to determine whether any repairs or replacements need to be made by the tenant, as stipulated in the lease agreement.
In most cases, lease agreements stipulate that tenants are responsible for the cost of Schedules of Dilapidations, as well as any resulting repercussions. However, always consult your lease agreement for such information.
At Crest Chartered Surveyors, we offer a quality service that you can trust, whilst remaining a cost-effective solution. Get in touch with our team today for a free, no-obligation quote based on your specific needs.
Book a Schedule of Dilapidation in London & Home Counties Today
Crest Chartered Surveyors offers both Dilapidation Surveys and Schedule of Dilapidations in London and across the Home Counties, helping landlords to ensure the good condition of their properties. Fill in the form below, and one of our RICS registered surveyors will call you back to discuss your requirements and to schedule an appointment.
Alternatively, you can call us on 020 3940 1118 to make your booking.