Party Wall Surveys

Avoid any potential hassle and stress from Party Wall Agreements with a qualified RICS party wall surveyor in London

If you’re planning on carrying out home improvement projects on boundary walls of your home or garden, you’ll need a party wall agreement with affected neighbours before works can begin.

Builders and contractors may be able to advise you on the process, but will not be able to service a party wall notice on your behalf. You can legally serve a party wall notice yourself, however the use of a RICS party wall surveyor will make the process much easier and less stressful, as well as ensuring that the agreement is legally binding.

View of a house from behind plants

What is a Party Wall?

A Party Wall is a shared wall between two separate owners. This includes garden walls, or shared walls in properties such as on a terraced or semi-detached house. If any type of construction is planned to take place on a party wall, an agreement between all pirates (people) involved must be made. 

Once you have an approved agreement, which will include architectural drawings, engineering calculations, insurance documents and more, you will be able to carry out the desired work to a party wall. 

If you have any questions regarding Party Wall Agreements in London, simply contact one of our expert team members for more information.

When Do You Need a Party Wall Agreement?

A party wall agreement is needed if you plan to make structural changes to or near to a boundary wall of your home or garden, as such works may impact the integrity of shared walls. Building works that affect a shared wall. This may include:

  • Conversions
  • Extensions
  • Insertion of damp proof courses
  • Building works involving party structures, such as floors between flats
  • Garden excavations within 3-6 metres of the boundary, depending on the depth of the excavation
  • Building up to or off the party wall
  • Making party walls thicker or higher (e.g. adding a new storey)
  • Minor home improvements such as plastering, electrical work, drilling into walls, fitting new kitchens or bathrooms

According to the Party Wall Act (1996), a legal notice has to be provided to adjoining owners if you’re planning on completing work that affects a shared party wall. This minimises inconvenience to other parties involved and provides them with the opportunity to dispute any work that may be an issue. 

Here at Crest Surveyors in London, we are trained and experienced in dealing with any potential issues that occur during your Party Wall Survey. We’re here to help with any scenarios, including the preparation, serving notices, handling any queries and more. 

Why Choose Crest Chartered Surveyors?

At Crest Chartered Surveyors, we aim to provide the quickest and most cost-effective solutions for your individual needs. But, there’s more than one reason to choose us:

  • All of our surveyors are members of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), some of which are also members of [Party Wall Institute]
  • We’re proud of our high standards, and are committed to upholding strict RICS standards in all works
  • We’ll always go the extra mile to ensure that any hassle and stress is kept to a minimum


It is a legal requirement to provide neighbours with a party wall notice, if building work will affect their property. They then have 14 days to respond.

What Happens If You Don’t Have a Party Wall Agreement?

By failing to provide a party wall notice, and obtaining a party wall agreement, you would be in breach of Statutory Duty, and would be liable for any damages. 

What Happens if Your Neighbour Objects to or Refuses Your Party Wall Notice?

Once a party wall notice has been served, your neighbour(s) have 14 days to respond, either fully agreeing to the plans, rejecting plans, or serving a counter-notice. If your neighbour does not respond, they will be deemed to have dissented, and an independent party wall surveyor would need to be appointed. The same would happen should your neighbours reject the notice.

In this case, an independent party wall surveyor will draw up a party wall award, outlining exactly what works are allowed to commence, as well as determining when, how, and who is responsible for the cost.

Can I Write My Own Party Wall Agreement?

You have the legal right to write and serve your own party wall notice, without using a party wall surveyor. However, the use of a party wall surveyor ensures that notices are legal and valid, and may help to avoid delays.

Can You Start Building Without a Party Wall Agreement?

You cannot start building or commence other works before a party wall agreement is reached by all affected parties, or until a party wall surveyor has drawn up a party wall award.

How Much Does a Party Wall Agreement Cost?

At Crest Chartered Surveyors, our Party Wall Agreement services cost from £989 (including VAT). However, it’s worth noting that you, as the one serving a party wall notice, may also be responsible for your neighbours’ surveyor’s fees if the proposed works are solely for your benefit.

Party Wall Surveys in London & Home Counties

If you’re planning a project that may affect the party walls of your property, you’ll need to inform your neighbours with a party wall notice. Crest Chartered Surveyors can help you to draft this notice, as well as handle any disputes on the way to obtaining your party wall agreement.

Alternatively, you can call us on 020 3940 1118 to make your booking.